Friday, April 8, 2011

the-scholar-and-the-labourer

A scholar of Islamic jurisprudence, Bakr Al-Muzani, saw a labourer carrying goods with him while constantly uttering, “Alhamdulillah” (All praise is for Allah SWT) and “Astaghfirullah” (I seek forgiveness from Allah SWT). 

The scholar said that he waited for the laborer to rest from his load before he spoke to him. Then Al-Muzani asked him, “Do you not know anything other than this (Alhamdulillah and Astagfirullah)?”

The labourer responded, “Indeed I know much else and I do read the Book of Allah SWT, except that a slave of Allah is constantly shifting between a state of blessing (from Allah SWT) and sin.

This being the condition of man I praise and thank Allah SWT for the blessings He has given me and seek his forgiveness for my sins.”

The scholar said, “Certainly this labourer has a deeper understanding of the religion than Bakr (himself).”

No comments:

Post a Comment